- Broaden SNAP eligibility to cover more college students, unemployed adults without children, and lawfully residing immigrants.
- Ensure the Thrifty Food Plan covers the cost of an average-price meal in every U.S. county.
- Streamline eligibility and enrollment processes and focus enrollment efforts on communities with low participation, including immigrants, people of color, and rural residents.
- Eliminate the lifetime ban on SNAP participation for convicted drug felons.
- Continue authorization and funding for the Gus Schumacher Nutrition Incentive Program (GusNIP) beyond 2023, to provide incentives for healthier SNAP purchases.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Recommendations
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation offers the following recommendations to strengthen SNAP.